Thursday, September 07, 2006

flirting's a sport...

Anna and Emma have this cute little dialogue about how flirting is a fun, healthy game. And it is, usually. However, the rules of the game are different in different cultures (though not quite as different as American football and football). At International Night at the Student House, Lisa and I met a friendly, chatty German medical student. After inviting us to a party in a couple of weeks, he wrote down his phone number so we could call him about it. He asked if it was "rude," to give someone your number. It's not rude, but traditionally in America at least giving someone your number has certain romantic significance. These days phone numbers are thrown around pretty carelessly, and easy to find via facebook and such, but there's still that association. He was addressing two of us, in his broken English, so it's hard to know exactly what he meant. I didn't feel comfortable giving him mine, and I'll probably never call, but it is rather exciting to say I have a cute German's phone number.

1 comment:

Theo said...

If you want, you can call me, and I will talk to you in German