Tuesday, September 05, 2006

the distance from New Jersey to Denmark

Today I met a girl from New Jersey. Not another DIS student or staff, but a genuine Dane living in or near Hareskovby. Imagine that. She found out I was American because she tried to ask me if the train had come yet. She grew up near Princeton, but her family is Danish and she's going to high school here.

Family life continues to go wonderfully. We don't have the traditional 3-hour long family dinner, for which I am grateful, but food still brings the family together. We're all busy people with separate schedules, so it's nice to have time together. Last night I had to make my own dinner, and tomorrow I'll probably be eating out, but it's all right. I enjoy the flexibility. Eva will be gone Thursday and Friday, and I'll be gone Saturday and Sunday, and then a whole week have gone by with us barely seeing each other. I must remind myself that for once, I have more than 10 weeks.

I successfully skyped with my dad earlier, which was a bit odd but fun. If anyone would like to talk to me, for free, we can do that.

There was a volunteer orientation meeting this evening, which unfortunately was not very useful because my contact was not there. However, I have a meeting tomorrow night at the organization, so I will certainly learn more then about what I will be doing at Dannerhuset (provided I find my way there). After the volunteer meeting there was a meeting of the International Club, because believe it or not, I am an international student. There was tasty wine and cheese and snacks, a get-to-know-you activity, and then a panel with some DIS staff primarily of non-American backgrounds. There was a lot of interesting and helpful information about adjusting to Danish culture and understanding Danish frankness and humor and getting to know the Danes. I'm quite glad I went.

I don't have any classes tomorrow, but I do have a field study in the morning to the headquarters of the Liberal Party (they're on the right side of the spectrum). Afterwards I'm going siteseeing with some new friends. It's looking like it will be a good day, despite the predicted (and predictable) rain.

No comments: