Sunday, September 24, 2006

cpr saves lives

That is to say, having a CPR number in Denmark means I get to go to the doctor for free. I finally have a CPR number, and the yellow card to prove it (and to use as a library card). I feel so much more legit somehow.

I also finally made some Danish friends this weekend. Mikkel (my host brother) took me to see his school Friday evening, which doesn't sound all that interesting, right? However, this being Denmark and all, his school of course had a bar, with a "Friday café." There were only a handful of people there this weekend, because there was a big party last Friday, but I think that was actually better. Something big and exciting, like a theme party or karaoke, would certainly have been fun. But instead I got to talk to and get to know everyone there. I even contributed my iPod to DJ'ing—at least the song 99 Luftballons. I had such a good time, drinking and talking and singing with these Danes. It was a cheap night out too (though I do owe Mikkel a drink or two for buying dinner) because this was a school bar rather than some overpriced Copenhagen café. All in all I think Friday was my best night in Denmark so far. It was so much fun to meet and talk to and hang out with nice Danes my age. I really hope to go to another Friday café soon and hang out with Mikkel's friends some more.

På lørdag, I slept late and then worked on my Danish Jewish Museum paper. Then Siv and I made dinner and afterwards went i byen, to Nyhavn, where we got coffee in one of the chic cafés along the canal. Then we walked along Stroget and people-watched in Rådhuspladsen and then went home early. This morning I woke up early to finish my paper, and then made challah using my greatgrandmother's recipe, as recorded by my mother—my personal Rosh Hashanah celebration. I don't think I let the dough rise long enough because the bread turned out a little too dense, and I didn't put enough eggwash on before baking, but considering I have no experience baking bread and was converting from cups to deciliters, I think I did a pretty good job.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Grandma would just "kvell" if she knew you had baked my grandma's challah. It would be nice if you sent her an e-mail about it.
How nice that you got to hang out with some young Danes. Your evening out with Mikkel and his friends sounds delightful. I'm so glad you did that. I guess they spoke English.
Keep having new experiences and lots of fun!