Tuesday, March 23, 2010

the snows of kilimanjaro

This morning I awoke to a new view outside my window: fresh snow had fallen on the peaks of Kili during the night.

I haven't been posting much because there hasn't been much to write about. I am no longer bored but I occupy myself with the trappings of daily life - checking email, doing internet research, meetings to discuss various upcoming trainings, long lunch breaks, listening to the rain, drinking coffee and tea, hanging out with my roommate, reading books, and studying swahili. I've spent a lot of time this past week thinking about what's next for me, weighing my options and my desires. Things are starting to fall into place.

This weekend the director of Visions in Action was in town, as well as a short term Visions volunteer through IEEE who is living in Arusha. It was interesting to hear more about this NGO I've become somewhat affiliated with. Over dinner we discussed sustainable volunteering. I am quite certain that by the time I feel comfortable here and understand the system and what's going on and how I can best make a difference, I'll be getting ready to leave. I have the benefit of taking over where Kara left off so a lot has already been figured out and established, but there is no one coming to replace me. But I am also not willing to wait infinitely until the cafe opens, as approval for construction keeps getting pushed further and further back. Maybe I'll just have to come back once the cafe is open and do some barista training. Or maybe I'll have set up a sustainable barista exchange program between Equal Exchange Cafe and KNCU Cafe, to the mutual benefit of both parties. (Anyone know any good grant opportunities?)

3 comments:

Mom said...

How lucky you are to see the snows of Kilimanjaro. Sounds exciting. And it's good to hear that you're feeling more settled in. Enjoy the easy-going life style while you have the chance. You're earned a break. We'll try to call or skype you on Saturday.
Much love, mom

Unknown said...

Check out the Ford Foundation. I think you fit into their broader mission statement.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing such an awesome blog...
online drink store nairobi

buy soft drinks online south-b