Tuesday, March 02, 2010

I want to dance a tango with chance

I'm sitting at the airport in Amsterdam enjoying a cappuccino while waiting for my flight to Kilimanjaro. Despite the instantaneousness with which it came out of a machine, it's the perfect size and in a ceramic cup and has the comforting taste of Europe and something I might have liked before I knew better. I didn't sleep much during the flight, even though my TV didn't work, but I read a little and listened to lots of music. I feel like I should be more prepared for what I'm about to do, intellectually at least, but at the same time I feel open and ready, for this, for anything.

What I'm doing, in short, is helping the Kilimanjaro Native Cooperative Union, the oldest coffee coop in Africa, open a cafe in Moshi, at the foot of Mount Kilimanjaro. In theory most of what I'll be doing is barista training, though how much of that I"ll actually be able to do is questionable considering renovations of the site haven't started yet. Basically I'll be taking over for Kara, a former barista from Equal Exchange Cafe, who has been in Tanzania working for KNCU since August. I don't really know what she's been doing, so I'll just have to wait and see.

Of course, waiting at the gate makes it all the more real. I'm so much more curious about what brings people on flights to African than on flights to Europe. Who knows what adventures we are all about to embark on. It's exciting as well as terrifying. This is it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fabulous headline -- what a great metaphor.The tango can be graceful, gliding, intense, romantic, requires focus and attention, and there's always the danger that you'll trip over your partner's feet. But what excitement to be doing the dance. So fill up your dance card and remember to stay hydrated! I love you. -- mom