Wednesday, June 27, 2007

bend it like essien

One of the football (soccer) players for the Chelsea team, Michael Essien, is from Awutu. Yesterday I got to play football with his younger brother and some other local boys.

The walk from the tro-tro station in Awutu to the guesthouse passes by a school with a large football field. It's quite picturesque, especially since on the other side of the field are some massive and beautiful trees. Yesterday when I walked by a bunch of boys were playing football. The ball rolled into the road in front of me and so I kicked it back to them. They returned it to me and I kicked it back. This back-and-forth only happened for about a minute but it was so much fun to be playing football with the Awutu boys. A man walking by with a baby, both of whom I almost hit in the head with the football, told me to change into gym clothes and come back. So I stopped in at the house, told Kyle and Linden what happened, and the three of us headed back to the school, accompanied by Stephen, our housekeeper, and a frisbee. While Kyle and Stephen started tossing the frisbee around, attracting some of the boys, Linden and I ran after the football. At first we just tried to get the ball from whoever had it, but eventually we realized they had been playing a game with rules, a soccer version of Monkey-in-the-middle, and so we started playing that. Eventually we got into conversation with them, which is how we learned about their local soccer star. We spent a while trying just to learn names. A boy with two large machetes came by, so Linden and I asked if they could teach us to cut the grass the way they do, with machetes. They said we wouldn't be able to, because our hands are too soft, but they showed us how and let us try anyway. We failed miserably, but it was fun to try anyway. Things got a bit uncomfortable when they briefly asked us for food and CDs and clothes. They really liked my gym shorts, for whatever reason. They quickly forgot about their demands, luckily, and started asking us some really hard questions. Such as, what do you think when you see a person with a dark complexion? I said I feel self-conscience, because my light skin makes me stand out a lot here. Linden added that we always try to make ourselves look darker but it doesn't work. They then asked us, where do twins come from, and an even more awkward question, Why does someone get pregnant? I'm not sure where all their questions came from or if they understood my answers but they were fun to talk to and to play ball with. We're probably going back this afternoon to play with them again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess playing soccer as a kid has finally come in handy! It's been a real eye-opener to read your blog so far and I'm glad you're doing well. I look forward to reading future posts. Take care!

Anonymous said...

How interesting that they chose to ask you (daughter of sexuality educators) questions about sexuality. And how lucky for them that they asked someone who could give them accurate information and is more accustomed to these kinds of conversations than most others would be. These questions are an opportunity for you to provide not only technical information, but a safe sex message as well. How old are these boys?

Unknown said...

Wow... it is so interesting to read about your adventures in Ghana. That sounds like an intense round of questions to field... but it sounds like you had a great time overall playing football and bonding with some new people. I'm glad things are going well. What a cool experience, and a way to really step outside of your culture.. I can't wait to continue reading about your adventures, and then hear about everything in person (and fuller details!) when you get back. Miss you! xoxo Anna Banana Krieger

Anonymous said...

I've just finished reading all your entries with tears in my eyes and my heart in my throat. If there are even a few more of your generation with your compassion and intelligence, then perhaps there is hope for our world.