Thursday, August 31, 2006

Carlsberg: Probably the best beer

Classes start tomorrow. Finally. My reading for my Jews class is from a book published by Beacon Press. The small world continues. We went on a tour of Carlsberg Brewery today. You don't get to see actual beer making, it's more of a Carlsberg-is-the-best promotion and museum. It was cool though, and it was followed by beer and sandwiches. Their lager has a nice caramel taste. They use Tork paper towel dispensers in their bathrooms, just like Star Island. I finally know what it must be like for other people when I'm on the island and their stuck on the mainland unable to reach me. This week feels so long mostly for that reason; the only person on island I've really communicated with at all is Jeff, because he spends all his time online in a little closet. Of course, I would yell at anyone else if they tried to talk to me on AIM while they were on Star Island. But then I would go ahead and talk to them. My parents are there too though, so the lack of contact is even more evident. I haven't talked to them since I said goodbye in Newark.

I'm mostly looking forward to classes because I want to know who are the people are be seeing regularly. I'm so ready for some solid friends and community, but that always takes time. After the tour tonight I hung out with a bunch of people by the fountain in the square and wandered around a bit. It was nice. And like being able to hang out with new people and introduce myself and make new friends. But I miss the intimacy of Star, where you know you'll be seeing everyone regularly so you might as well become friends, and where everyone lives so close together that there are always people easily accessible for hanging out. But I like Copenhagen and DIS. It should be a good term.

In heaven and hell there ain't no beer. So you better drink it all while you're here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

since i'm polish and obsessed with iowa, that reminds me:

in heaven there is no beer (no beer!)
that's why we drink it here
and when we're gone from here
our friends will be drinking all our beer

a good old polka tune, also played at the end of every iowa football game (go hawks)