Saturday, May 22, 2010

barista training?!

Well, by some sort of miracle, construction on the cafe site started this week AND the espresso machine was successfully installed in the liquoring room so the past two days I have actually been able to do some barista training with Mageche, the cafe manager, and Denis, the lead roaster. Of course, we don't have the hopper for our espresso grinder. Nor all the milk that was requested and budgeted for. And I wasn't given any of the requested equipment for viewing training films like Espresso 101. And people have been constantly coming in asking for cappuccino, or dragging my students away to take care of other matters. But I've actually been able to do what I came here to do, which is pretty incredible. I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, but somehow, probably due to a latte, I ended up on the right side.

Mageche had previous experience as a barista, and has spent the past few months reading everything he can, and the past month training in South Africa, so he is pretty competent. He also seems to be a good teacher, very comfortable explaining things as well as serving demanding and impatient KNCU employees. I feel very comfortable leaving the cafe in Mageche's hands. Denis was a bit tired and overwhelmed, having spent most of yesterday roasting and cupping before training started, but he was a good student, picking things up quickly and doing well. I think he has a lot of potential as a barista. So despite all the continued frustrations, it's been a pretty good and rewarding couple days and I feel better about the state things will be in when I leave, and about what I have contributed.

Tomorrow I leave for a week in Zanzibar, coaching the national barista champion to prepare for the World Barista Championship, to be held next month in London. Then back to Moshi for two days before returning the the US.

1 comment:

mom said...

I think they should fly you to London to support your trainee.