Sunday, July 15, 2007

debt repaid

This weekend I returned to Kokrobite, where I spent my first weekend in Ghana. I wasn't too excited about going back because I associate it with feelings of culture shock and confusion and not knowing what my place was in all this. However, pretty much all the PCO volunteers were going there this weekend to have a final goodbye party for some of the volunteers and I didn't get a chance to make more ambitious plans because Thursday afternoon I ended up caught in the most heart-wrenching, gut-churning conversation of my life.

It was good, and necessary, to get away. I enjoyed relaxing on the beach and just hanging out and talking with my friends. They sell a lot of good tourist knick-knacks and clothing and I didn't end up buying as much as I had hoped to but I found some nice stuff and I enjoyed looking at everything. I didn't go swimming but I lay on the beach for a while, reading and writing. Kokrobite is a strange place, filled with rastas and white volunteers who are escaping for a weekend. I feel kind of guilty being there, because it's such an escapist kind of place, such a backpackers' beach resort haven, but at the same time, we don't escape, we mostly talked about camp and Liberians and volunteering and all the issues we deal with on a daily basis but don't really have time to talk about. Guy, a former PCO volunteer now anthropologist, is always interesting to talk to because he knows quite a lot about camp and yet is always learning things from us as well.

What made this weekend excursion feel complete for me was this:
We were walking back to our hotel in the dark with our flashlights. On the path a man stopped us and asked if I could shine my light on my foot. It appeared he had cut his toe on a rock while walking. I still had my purse with me then, and in it Band-Aids. So I shone my light on him and gave him some band-aids. Last time I was at Kokrobite, I cut my foot and some boys helped me. This time, I had an opportunity to do the same for others. I was, for once, able to return a favor, and help someone out in a simple, yet meaningful, way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And the circle is completed, as sometimes we help and sometimes we are helped, as we participate in the interconnected web of all living things.
I think it's good that you get a chance to get away from the camp and to relax, and for you volunteers to have the chance, away from the daily work, to talk and reflect and process the experiences with each other. Who else could really understand what it is like there, what you are seeing and hearing and experiencing and feeling and going through? I hope you have some fun on these outings, too!
I love you.