Friday, November 24, 2006

Glædelig Kalkun Dag

My Thanksgiving this year combined the best of both worlds: good ol' Danish "hygge" and traditional American face-stuffing. Min far made his pumpkin soup when my parents were here last week (was it only last week?) so we started off with that, as usual. Then a nice Danish salad, and then the tidal wave of food. The turkey was delicious, the stuffing was stuffing, the sweet potatoes didn't have enough butter or maple syrup but were tasty nonetheless, the Brussels sprouts were rosenkål, the cranberry sauce was perfectly tart, and very few of the plain old boiled potatoes were eaten (am I forgetting anything? I don't think so.) Less dishes than usual, but less people too. We all ate very heartily, so there were surprisingly few leftovers; still the refridgerator is bursting at the seams. We took a break to dance and play some Danish Pictionary Junior, and then dessert. I made my chocolate cheesecake with a brunkager (gingersnap) crust. For some reason the cake was denser and sweeter than usual, but still absolutely delicious. We also had homemade pumpkin pie and whipped cream, to top everything off. It was a feast of food, a tradition transported, a family festival, a hearty hygge. You get the point.

And now, my papers are finished, my stomach is full, and I have had a delightfully hyggeligt aften. There is MUCH to be thankful for.

No comments: