Thursday, October 05, 2006

more disconcerts

Alas, DIS sponsored no such musical event. But "disconcerted" continues to describe my existence.

Yesterday I went to Dannerhuset, the women's shelter where I'm supposed to be volunteering, for a meeting with the committee I'm suppose to volunteer with. I had missed their first event because they had my wrong email, but now that everything was straightened out, I was excited to make it up to them. The volunteer coordinator had emailed me that the meeting would be on October 4th, at 18:30, and unless I let them know I couldn't attend, they'd be counting on me. So I go. And although there are plenty of people in the house, there's absolutely no sign of the meeting. One nice women helps me look in all possible places, but the events committee could not be found. So I left, frustrated because I had scheduled my day around this meeting and even more because my attempt to be productive and proactive had failed.

When I got home, I emailed the committee. Turns out the meeting was at 19:00, though this hadn't been communicated in any of the emails I had received (unless of course the Danes decide to invent their own numerals). I will be at their meeting next Monday at 19:00, godwilling, and hopefully I will be able to contribute in some way, though I will be traveling during the event they will be discussing, the house's birthday on November 2.

My travel plans, the flights at least, have finally been finalized. I may still end up sleeping on the streets of some random European city, but so it goes. I wish I could make some sort of interactive map showing where I'm going, but since I have not been graced with such talents, an explanatory paragraph will have to do.

On October 14th, I leave for my study tour of Berlin and Prague. I don't know the itinerary yet, but I will be back in Copenhagen on the morning of October 20th. Bright and early the next morning, this Bergen County girl flies to Bergen, Norway, to spend a day and a night before seeing the fjords and the mountains by rail on my way to Oslo. I'll have about 24 hours to experience Oslo before I take off for Madrid, to visit my Carleton roommate Ann and my friend Miguel. I'll be there until the 26th, when I'll fly to Cologne, where I'll spend the night and then take the train to Oberwesel, Germany, to attend a European Unitarian Universalist retreat with Christopher. After the weekend retreat, I'll spend another night in Cologne, before flying to Athens on October 30 to meet up with my friend Dan. We'll spend two nights in Athens before traveling north to Bucharest, Romania, where we'll spend another two nights before moving on to Bratislava, Slovakia. Finally, after taking advantage of the cheap prices of Eastern Europe, we'll return to Copenhagen on the morning of November 5th, full of energy and ready to go back to classes the next day.

No comments: